Sunshine, long days, and warmer temperatures. Yes, it’s summer! And the outside world beckons for your attention.
Whether you plan on hiking through the desert, camping in the woods, or paddling through lakes, you’ll want to prep your outdoor gear for summer. This means unboxing last year’s favorite gear, shaking off the cobwebs, and making sure you have everything you need for a spectacular summer of fun.
In this blog, we’ll discuss how to prep your outdoor gear for summer hiking, biking, camping, and more!
How to Prep for Summer Hiking
Hiking is wonderful. It’s good for your body. It’s a fun way to experience the outdoors. And it can be as strenuous or as relaxing as you want it to be. But before you go on your next hike, you’ll want to make sure you’re prepared for the summer season. Here’s a handful of tips to get you started:
- Take inventory. You’ll want to know what you have on hand and what you still need to get.
- Start with your clothing and shoes. Are your boots still in good condition or has the tread worn away? How about your favorite pair of hiking pants, sun hoodie, or hat? If you have rips or holes in your gear, you can easily fix your outdoor apparel with a repair patch.
- Inspect your backpack. Check your pack for holes and tears. Empty your bag and refill it. This will help you decide what to keep in the pack and what’s just extra weight. Do you use a Camelbak or similar bladder for your potable water? Clean it out, check for leaks, and ensure it’s in good condition.
- Clean and organize your gear. Dirt and grime lead to wear and tear. Clean up your gear following the specific instructions for each piece.
- Reup and refill. Make sure you stocked up on bug spray, bandaids, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, wet wipes, NoSo repair patches, and anything else you regularly use on your hikes. This includes snacks, dehydrated meals, hydration powders, and all the rest.
- Recharge and stock batteries. Nobody likes a useless headlamp. Charge your headlamp, lantern, watch, GPS, or whatever electronics you need.
- Safety first. Cuts, bruises, and bug bites happen all the time. Make sure you are ready by buying a first-aid kit. Replenish antiseptics, pain relievers, allergy meds, and anything else that you might regularly need. Pro tip: Don’t use NoSo patches on your skin! The question has been asked before.
- Check expiration dates. Don’t overlook the dates on your products. This includes sunscreen, medications, freeze-dried meals, and snacks. Throw away anything expired and restock.
- Recovery gear. Getting sidetracked is part of the adventure. But getting lost, now that’s not fun for anyone. Pack up your compass, map, and be sure to tell other people where you are going.
How to Prep for Summer Camping
What’s your camping style? Are you the kind of person who likes to kick back with a six-pack and some s’mores? Or do you prefer a mountain backpacking trip and sleeping under the stars? Truth be told, both are pretty spectacular. As long as you’re prepared for the journey and respectful of the environment, there’s really no wrong way to camp.
Breaking out your camping gear for the summer season starts with:
- Shaking things out. You want to get rid of any creepy crawlies that might be hiding in your gear.
- Inspect your gear. It’s better to identify wear and tear earlier rather than later. If you have a tear in your tent or sleeping bag, you can quickly patch it with NoSo. You should also examine your sleeping pad or inflatable mattress. Yes, our patches work on those!
- Clean things up. You want to wash and mend your gear before your next adventure. It’s much easier to clean things up at home. And yes, that includes the dusty tarp from last year!
Next up, you want to re-up, refill, and restock. Common examples include:
- Fuel. Do you have propane for your camp stove?
- Batteries. Stock up on new batteries for your headlamp, lanterns, GPS, and walkie-talkies. If you use rechargeable batteries, charge those too.
- Food. Even if you pack up all sorts of goodies, you’ll want some simple snacks on hand too. Granola bars and hydration packs are good for energy. And take a moment to inspect your cooking supplies and utensils while you’re at it. If you’re in bear country, be sure to bring safety containers along too.
Don’t forget your all-important safety and survival gear:
- Examine your first-aid kit. Restock any bandages or alcohol wipes you used last year. See if any lotions have leaked. Make sure you have the medications you need.
- Check for other essentials. This includes lighters, waterproof matches, a space blanket, a compass, a map, GPS, and anything else you might need in an emergency.
Getting Ready for Your Summer Sports
Super psyched to hit the bike trails, climb boulders, or surf waves? There are simply too many outdoor activities to cover here. But the same basic tips apply:
- Take stock of what you have
- Clean, repair, and restock what you need
- And take special care to prepare for emergencies
So, whether you’re hanging out by the water, getting dusty in the mountains, or spinning wheels under the summer sun, you’ll be adventure-ready.
Ready for Summer
And there you have it! A shortlist of to-dos before you hit the hiking trails or camping spots this summer. Remember, it’s always more fun to be prepared for the adventures ahead.
Want to personalize your outdoor gear? Or need some durable patches to repair your apparel? Check out NoSo Patches in our online store or your favorite outdoor shop.